Once in a lifetime....

Thanks to God that we have the opportunity to be able to experience living in another country. This blog is written to share our lives in Canberra with all our loved ones back in Singapore and overseas. UPDATE: We have relocated from Canberra to Melbourne at the beginning of 2009.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

The Move

We are going to leave Canberra tomorrow and heading back to Singapore. Terence has been offered a job in Melbourne so we will be heading there next year. It's really sad to be leaving Canberra for good...We really enjoyed ourselves alot during our 3 years here...

At the moment, we are living in a service apartment as we had to vacate our rented apartment a week ago. It was quite a feat to pack up and move with 3 kids - 1 preschooler and 2 babies - in tow. We started to pack a few days before and it was quite a logistical nightmare as we had to decide which stuffs to go to Melbourne and what to bring to Singapore. Given it's still cold now in Canberra, I had to dig out and pack the summer clothings and some warm clothings for this week in the service apartment. Thankfully, Terence had moving allowance so we got the removalist to help us pack and move our stuffs to Melbourne.

After packing, we realise we had 4 huge luggages, 2 small luggages and loads of small little bags!!! When we checked in last Sunday, Terence had to make 2 trips to bring all our stuffs here. And it's not the end. Just before we leave Canberra, we still have to move all the stuff that we are not going to bring to Singapore to store in his office as well as in our car.

Besides the moving, we still had to deal with the kids. Thankfully, Timmy is pretty adaptive at 3.5 yrs old and is quite independent wrt playing on his own and using the toilet etc...It's the gals who could not really adapt to the new environment in the beginning of the week. They were not settled during their sleep and were catnapping alot - which meant sheer fatigue for us...
Now after a week, they seem to have adapted to this place but...we have to move again tomorrow...

I really don't know what to expect when they take the plane tomorrow...I'm just going to pray hard that they will adapt well on the plane and sleep if they can. Even if they can't sleep, I hope they wouldn't be crying...I'm prepared to carry them as much as possible...

It's been a tiring week and I don't think it would be any easier when we get to Singapore next week as it will start all over again - i.e. them getting used to the environment and not to mention the hot weather, the time difference and lots of new faces... I'm not looking forward to that.

As much as we are looking forward to go back to visit our families and friends, we are also not looking forward to it...it's just like a temporary time standstill and we are not settled down into any routine. We are most looking forward for this 2 months to pass and go to Melbourne to finally settle down and get into a routine again.

We always joke that after this move, there is no move that will be any tougher for us anymore!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Janice, I totally understand what you are going through. I went through with one and I think you guys are champs to have to manage it with 2 bubs and Timmy. God bless your journey and look forward to seeing more updates on your blog.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Janice, I remembered u and family in prayers yesterday as you make your trip back to S'pore. Reading your entry brings back memories of my move here last year and compared to your experience, you have loads more to cope with so that's thumbs up for Terence and Janice...and look, you've gotten this far now...hurray!
    Dun worry too much, bubs and Timmy will be fine...you guys sit back and let family help you. Enjoy, chai

     

Post a Comment

<< Home